Stephen Wallis Media understands that your privacy is important to you and that you care about how your personal data is used. I respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits this website, www.stephenwallismedia.com (“my Site”) and will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a way that is consistent with my obligations and your rights under the law.
- Definitions and Interpretation
In this Policy the following terms shall have the following meanings:
|means an account required to access and/or use certain areas and features of my Site;
|means a small text file placed on your computer or device by my Site when you visit certain parts of my Site and/or when you use certain features of my Site. Details of the Cookies used by my Site are set out in Part 14, below; and
|means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;
- Information About me
My Site is owned and operated by Stephen Wallis Media, a sole trader.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What Does This Policy Cover?
- What Is Personal Data?
Personal data is defined by the UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 (collectively, “the Data Protection Legislation”) as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier’.
Personal data is, in simpler terms, any information about you that enables you to be identified. Personal data covers obvious information such as your name and contact details, but it also covers less obvious information such as identification numbers, electronic location data, and other online identifiers.
- What Are My Rights?
Under the Data Protection Legislation, you have the following rights, which I will always work to uphold:
- The right to access the personal data I hold about you. Part 13 will tell you how to do this.
- The right to have your personal data rectified if any of your personal data held by me is inaccurate or incomplete. Please contact me using the details in Part 15 to find out more.
- The right to be forgotten, i.e. the right to ask me to delete or otherwise dispose of any of your personal data that I hold. Please contact me using the details in Part 15 to find out more.
- The right to restrict (i.e. prevent) the processing of your personal data.
- The right to object to me using your personal data for a particular purpose or purposes.
- The right to withdraw consent. This means that, if I am relying on your consent as the legal basis for using your personal data, you are free to withdraw that consent at any time.
- The right to data portability. This means that, if you have provided personal data to me directly, I am using it with your consent or for the performance of a contract, and that data is processed using automated means, you can ask me for a copy of that personal data to re-use with another service or business in many cases.
- Rights relating to automated decision-making and profiling. I do not use your personal data in this way.
For more information about my use of your personal data or exercising your rights as outlined above, please contact me using the details provided in Part 15.
It is important that your personal data is kept accurate and up-to-date. If any of the personal data I hold about you changes, please keep me informed as long as I have that data.
Further information about your rights can also be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
If you have any cause for complaint about my use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. I would welcome the opportunity to resolve your concerns myself, however, so please contact me first, using the details in Part 15.
- What Data Do You Collect and How?
|How I Collect the Data
|Identity Information including name.
|Contact form, newsletter sign up, blog comment
|Contact information including email address and phone number.
|Contact form, newsletter sign up, blog comment
|Technical information including ip address, browser types etc
|Logged during use of web site by hosting and Google Analytics.
- How Do You Use My Personal Data?
Under the Data Protection Legislation, I must always have a lawful basis for using personal data. The following table describes how I will use your personal data, and my lawful bases for doing so:
|What I Do
|What Data I Use
|my Lawful Basis
|Administering my Site.
|Name, email your comment.
|Communicating with you.
|Replying to contact form enquiries
|Supplying you with information by email that you have opted-in-to (you may opt-out at any time by the link on email email.
I will only use your personal data for the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected unless I reasonably believe that another purpose is compatible with that or those original purpose(s) and need to use your personal data for that purpose. If I do use your personal data in this way and you wish me to explain how the new purpose is compatible with the original, please contact me using the details in Part 15.
If I need to use your personal data for a purpose that is unrelated to, or incompatible with, the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, I will inform you and explain the legal basis which allows me to do so.
In some circumstances, where permitted or required by law, I may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent. This will only be done within the bounds of the Data Protection Legislation and your legal rights.
- How Long Will You Keep My Personal Data?
I will not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected. Your personal data will therefore be kept for the following periods (or, where there is no fixed period, the following factors will be used to determine how long it is kept):
|Type of Data
|How Long I Keep It
|Comments on website
|Will remain on site unless requested to remove.
|Contact form enquiries
|Will be retained until query has been resolved and no longer required.
|Retained unless requested to be unsubscribed..
|Technical information. Ip, browser
|Google Analytics – anonymised data up to 2 yrs
- How and Where Do You Store or Transfer My Personal Data?
I will only store your personal data in the UK. This means that it will be fully protected under the Data Protection Legislation.
The security of your personal data is essential to me, and to protect your data, I take a number of important measures, including the following:
- limiting access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors, and other third parties with a legitimate need to know and ensuring that they are subject to duties of confidentiality;
- procedures for dealing with data breaches (the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, your personal data) including notifying you and/or the Information Commissioner’s Office where I am legally required to do so.
- Do You Share My Personal Data?
I will not share any of your personal data with any third parties for any purposes, subject to the following exceptions.
In some limited circumstances, I may be legally required to share certain personal data, which might include yours, if I am involved in legal proceedings or complying with legal obligations, a court order, or the instructions of a government authority.
I may sometimes contract with the following third parties to supply certain services.
|Activity Carried Out
|Maintain website and hosting/email account.
If any of your personal data is shared with a third party, as described above, I will take steps to ensure that your personal data is handled safely, securely, and in accordance with your rights, my obligations, and the third party’s obligations under the law, as described above in Part 9.
- How Can I Control My Personal Data?
- In addition to your rights under the Data Protection Legislation, set out in Part 5, when you submit personal data via my Site, you may be given options to restrict my use of your personal data. In particular, I aim to give you strong controls on my use of your data for direct marketing purposes (including the ability to opt-out of receiving emails from me which you may do by unsubscribing using the links provided in my emails and at the point of providing your details).
- Can I Withhold Information?
You may access my Site without providing any personal data at all.
- How Can I Access My Personal Data?
If you want to know what personal data I have about you, you can ask me for details of that personal data and for a copy of it (where any such personal data is held). This is known as a “subject access request”.
All subject access requests should be made in writing and sent to the email or postal addresses shown in Part 15.
There is not normally any charge for a subject access request. If your request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’ (for example, if you make repetitive requests) a fee may be charged to cover my administrative costs in responding.
I will respond to your subject access request within 2 weeks and, in any case, not more than one month of receiving it. Normally, I aim to provide a complete response, including a copy of your personal data within that time. In some cases, however, particularly if your request is more complex, more time may be required up to a maximum of three months from the date I receive your request. You will be kept fully informed of my progress.
My Site may place and access certain Cookies on your computer or device. Before Cookies are placed on your computer or device, you will be shown a Cookie banner requesting your consent to set those Cookies. By giving your consent to the placing of Cookies you are enabling me to provide the best possible experience and service to you. You may, if you wish, deny consent to the placing of Cookies; however certain features of my Site may not function fully or as intended.
- How Do I Contact You?
To contact me about anything to do with your personal data and data protection, including to make a subject access request, please use the following details (for the attention of Stephen Wallis):
Email address: email@example.com.